1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Shavings Make Chickens Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by labpac4, Jan 23, 2011.

1. labpac4

labpac4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    If the chickens are eating the shavings from the coop could that cause a prolapsed cloaca? Lost my 8 month old golden laced wyandotte today very suddenly and that is how it looked almost like she was plugged up.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No. They rarely eat enough shavings to be a problem, not unless they have some vitamin deficiency. Trust me, you didn't cause this. A prolapse is a reproductive malfunction, nothing to do with digestion.

3. labpac4

labpac4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Thank you so much!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We're talking about pine shavings, right? Be sure they aren't cedar. That has nothing to do with why you lost your hen, though, just making sure you know that cedar can be toxic to chickens.

5. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have heard Aspen shavings are even safer than pine (with regard to the offgassing) and have used this successfully with my first recent batch of chicks / pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by