1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can she be saved?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by supergirl105, Nov 21, 2016.

1. supergirl105

supergirl105 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    This morning I woke up to a commotion.
    My neighbor's dogs broke into my shed-knocked the door off the hinges!
    They killed my brooder cage of chicks and we're trying to figure out how to get to the peas by the time I got out there.
    My peas are kept in a heavy duty dog kennel so the dogs could not get into it, but one of my babies must have gotten too close to the edge, and she looks like her wing was ripped right off.
    Is there anything we can do to save her? I've separated her from the rest of her sisters for now.
    I'll put a picture in the next post, but it isn't pretty.

2. supergirl105

May 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

If the wing is gone and the bleeding stopped, you need to get out the sewing needle and thread and sew the skin together. Do the best you can to meet the edges together and apply an antibiotic like trip oint to the wound. Then you should also start giving antibiotics by either injection or orally. If you have Blu-Kote use that on the wound after sewing it up.

If the artery is still oozing you should put a stitch in it as well.

3 people like this.
  4. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Poor girl! [​IMG]

Excellent advice from @KsKingBee .
    Because she is probably in shock, you should be sure to keep her somewhere warm and confined, too.

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Very good chance she will make it. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

7. KsKingBee

If you use sewing thread you will need to remove the stitches in about seven to ten days.

8. supergirl105

May 13, 2016
    So far she is doing well!!
    I called our local vet, and he doesn't see exotics.
    She is in a smaller cage, by herself, but is eating and drinking well, and walking around a bit. I've been applying a topical antibiotic to the wound, and gave her the electrolyte water, as well as regular water and she is drinking both.

9. KsKingBee

Can you post a pic of the wound and the stitches?

10. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Glad to hear she's doing well. Exercise probably wouldn't hurt her as long als its where she can keep warm and not picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by