Can she go broody before she even lays?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pippsqueak, Aug 25, 2011.

1. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    My 5 month old Ameraucana hasn't laid eggs yet (that I know of), she is still rather small and not fully developed but, today I found her nesting on one of the golf balls I put in there. Is there something that I can do or is she just upset because she hasn't laid anything yet?

NOTE: I don't have any roos.

[​IMG]

2. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    [​IMG] Oh my GOODNESS!!! That is one beutiful girl, oh my, lovely!!
    Sorry cant answer your question, but I do lurve your chicken [​IMG]

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Yes, she absolutely CAN go broody before laying her first egg. I had a silkie, still have her for that matter, who went broody with some new chicks I had BEFORE she layed her first egg. She is currently brooding on her third clutch of the year [​IMG]

But in your case, I would think that if your girl is just sitting around in the box, not staying all day or growling, that she is just "checking it out" in preparation of laying her first egg! [​IMG]

4. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    Quote:Thank you so much! I don't let the others know but she is my favorite but, the best part is:

SHE JUST LAID HER FIRST EGG! [​IMG] AND ITS HUGE! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The egg on the left is a store bought egg and the one on the right is hers! SO PERFECT!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I was going to say that she's likely just getting ready to lay - but she beat me to it. [​IMG] Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by