can she live paralyzed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jenerva, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Jenerva

Jenerva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Detroit
    Okay. Deep breath for myself. We have 3 ISA Browns approx. 6 months old. Last week the oldest looking one, most robust and general leader looked a little gimpy. I immediately isolated her while my husband and I monitored her symtoms. She was unsteady on her feet and stretching her neck upward and wide open silent beak for each breath. We assumed gapeworm. Also assumed with her lethergy and scary breathing she would not make it. Treated her with Wazine 17. Fully helped the gaping mouth. She is also eating well-scrambled egg and reg. chick. food mixed with water and vitamins. She has no interest in drinking. NOW however, she is still not standing and her entire right wing and leg have no control. Is this temporary? Should I put her back in the coop to live this way? She seems bored in her safe hall closet box. Any advice would be great.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!
    Sounds like maybe she had a stroke. She could recover with time, and if you have the patience to care for her, then go ahead and just keep her comfortable, and safe in her box. I really wouldn't put her back with the flock just yet. Maybe you could put her outside in a bottomless cage so that she can eat some grass and feel the sunshine.....

Good luck with her!
    Sharon

3. Jenerva

Jenerva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Detroit
    Thanks Sharon! We'll do our best [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by