Can she survive this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MorganB, Nov 18, 2014.

1. MorganB

MorganB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Neighbors dog got one of my Asutralorps today. I walked outside when I heard the commotion and found him holding her in his mouth. I've brought her inside but as far as care goes I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. It's down her back, kind of under her right wing

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a white rock get bit far deeper than that when she was just eight weeks old. I put her in a cage in the barn and fed her oatmeal and yogurt. My mother gave her a shot of penicillin and she was good in just a couple days. At least I think it was penicillin. I think she should be fine.

3. MorganB

Jun 2, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you, but she passed away a few hours ago

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. When I first got chickens, some jumped over the 4 foot fence into my yard as young pullets. My golden retriever chased one 3 different times over a period of a month. The only one that died had no scratches or wounds. If they get internal injuries they usually will not live. While I trained my dog to never come near the chickens again, it's hard to do when a neighbor's dog comes around. I used a shock collar twice with the dead chicken lying on the ground. That is what worked for me, but every dog is different.

5. Free Feather

I am so sorry. Is she the only one who was hurt?

6. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    oh I am so sorry. :( for your little girl

7. MorganB

Jun 2, 2014
    Texas
    I ended up losing another the next day to a different dog :/ She was dead when I found her. I'm having a very hard time keeping them in the yard. They live in my backyard and I have a coop for them to sleep in at night, so basically my backyard is the run. The sides of the yard are fenced with a 6 foot privacy fence and the back is a 5 foot wooden fence with chicken wire. They'll jump the 5 foot fence and graze during the day and I've never had a problem before last week when I lost my australorp and wyandotte.
    Should I clip their wings to keep them from being able to get over the fence? I'm hesitant to try it

8. MorganB

Jun 2, 2014
    Texas
    I'm renting the property so I can't replace the smaller fence with a taller one til the landlord OKs it with his wife and I haven't hard back from them.

9. Free Feather

I would not clip their wings in case a predator does get inside the fence. Is their any way you could give them temporary run or the like until the fence can be okay-ed?

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you decide to clip their wings, only clip one wing. This causes the bird to become unbalanced when trying to fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by