Can sheep and chickens live together???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ariana Martinez, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Ariana Martinez

Ariana Martinez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    I have 9 chickens and are taking 3 of them away and that leaves my 5 hens and main rooster that I am wanting to put in my sheeps pen. I only have 1 sheep and have an 18by18 foot pen with a not good looking but secure house and I'll put together a separate house with the chickens and keep there food away from one another and I'm wondering if they can live together.?.?.? They already get along and do great together, and don't pick on one another. So is it okay for them to live together??

2. Ariana Martinez

Jul 9, 2013
    I am wanting to put then together because I can't seem to keep them in there previous coop that I had moved recently and the hens were upset and haven't been laying for a few days. And my sheep pen is completely fenced in with panels and chicken wire lining top and bottom. It's so secure because when I got my sheep she escaped 2 days after buying her and was list for 2 weeks and I finally found her less than a mile down the road at an angus ranch running with a bunch of heifers.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They can stay together as long as you keep the sheep away from the chickens feed, since it may have too much copper for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  4. Ariana Martinez

Jul 9, 2013
    Okay, I'm kinda still new here and I'll have to figure out how to do that.:) but thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by