Can / should I bring my 3 adult chickens out west for an extended vacation?

wolfiej

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Hello,

I've been traveling to Oregon in the summer with my dogs/cats for the past couple years staying here and there along the way. Now I have 3 hens and they are great fun. I still would like to make the trip west but it's difficult to find someone to come to the house for the chickens for 1-2 months. Is it feasible or silly to ship them out there if I find a place to stay? Otherwise, how could I find a 'summer home' for the hens while I'm gone?

Joy

It would be a terrible stress on them. It would be kinder to find them a place to stay while you are gone. They like to sleep in the same place
every night, have the same nestboxes, etc.

But you do what you have to do! If you need to take them along, maybe you can build/fashion something like the omlet eglu go (you can google if interested)....it is a small coop and run.
caf.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I imagine it would be too stressful for them. It would take about 5-6 days just to drive out there. They are like my pets, so shipping them out if I find a place to stay for a couple months would be stressful for all too. It's a dilemma. I'd really like to stay out there and find a place for all of us (me, the 2 dogs, cat, 3 chickens).

Back
Top Bottom