Can/should I help more?

Kraemer7

Chirping
May 9, 2021
My duckling eggs has been pipped for more than 30 hours- I helped a little but maybe it’s shrink wrapped? 2 of the 4 hatched sometime over the night. I helped this one (which was also the one furthest along yesterday- photo 1). It’s chirping and moving- but not really progressing. Should I intervene even more? Also the one behind I can hear chipping but hasn’t unzipped and it’s been about 24 hours. Ideas?

Attachments

• F58C6A55-6A11-4138-B873-258AA0771D71.jpeg
    F58C6A55-6A11-4138-B873-258AA0771D71.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 3745D8A4-E441-468E-AAFB-909A7C73B1AA.jpeg
    3745D8A4-E441-468E-AAFB-909A7C73B1AA.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 5
Even after it’s this far along?
Yes just leave it be. A duckling can pip and then wait two days before it hatches. They can also start the process to unzip and then sit for a day or two. Ducklings hatching on day 28 is simply a guideline not a hard rule. If you did not have a pre-calibrated thermometer in your incubator to ensure the temperature was correct then your ducklings are most likely hatching late due to slower development. Which is a very common thing to happen when starting out hatching ducklings, but your ducklings will need that extra time to fully absorb the yolk and allow their veins to recede.

Yes just leave it be. A duckling can pip and then wait two days before it hatches. They can also start the process to unzip and then sit for a day or two. Ducklings hatching on day 28 is simply a guideline not a hard rule. If you did not have a pre-calibrated thermometer in your incubator to ensure the temperature was correct then your ducklings are most likely hatching late due to slower development. Which is a very common thing to happen when starting out hatching ducklings, but your ducklings will need that extra time to fully absorb the yolk and allow their veins to recede.
Thanks for the info. It really doesn’t seem like it can turn- it’s whole beak is out. I’ll give it a little more time. The inner membrane seems dry and close to it. That’s not shrink wrapped? The other 2 eggs hatched last night.

Thanks for the info. It really doesn’t seem like it can turn- it’s whole beak is out. I’ll give it a little more time. The inner membrane seems dry and close to it. That’s not shrink wrapped? The other 2 eggs hatched last night.
Do you have a better picture and did you moisten the membrane with anything when you started to assist originally?

I agree with @HollowOfWisps
Babies can take 48 hours after external pip and 72 if they hit the wrong end away from the air cell
When you say this far along
What do you mean. What all did baby do ? You helped it so it’s hard for us to know what baby did
I just had 10 eggs hatch over 3 days
3 of the eggs were set 12 hours before the rest
But mom sat on all of them for a week first
There can be cold and warm spots in the bator that also Cause them to hatch at different times
Day 28 is just a due date but not a has to hatch that day
Just like us humans we can be off
Some babies come fast others take longer

Back
Top Bottom