Can shredded paper be used in coop?

Coachp

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
I have access to plenty of shredded paper- can I use that in the chicken coop. Can I mix it with shavings?

Quote:
mix it w/shavings...the paper doesn't absorb well. I tried it and it turned into a slimy mess. Switched to pine and it works much better. Prob will use paper in nest boxes though when they are old enough to start laying

Last edited:
I use shredded paper in our coop (including newspapers) and have had no problems. It's FREE, and it's recycling. I get my mom's old newspapers and use junk mail, kids' finished school papers etc. When I first put it down they thought it was worms (I guess) and ate a piece or two. Then decided it wasn't that tasty after all! I also use DE with the shredded paper.

I like the idea of that, we have lots of old paper I could shread. Maybe I can mix it with my shavings and straw. Right now I use half shavings and half straw. I would like to know how that would work to add in some paper. Good question.
smile.png

Thanks!! I will mix it and watch for the slime.

Thanks again-- everyone is so nice to help a new egg.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but my chickens (12 of them) are outside free ranging all day. So they don't spend a lot of time in the coop. Also I started with a dirt (?) floor. ( I'm not so sure the "dirt"wasn't just old chicken poo!! The previous tenants had chickens at one time.

I've heard it works great, I haven't had experience with it yet though!

I wonder if you can get it in bulk somewhere too?

we use 1/2 straw and 1/2 shredded paper in our horse stalls. It actually absorbs better than alot of the pine shavings we were using before. I've been using dried lawn clippings so far in the chicken coop so I haven't had a chance to try out the paper with the chickens.

You can go to the Banks and get shredded paper for free by the bags full.
I think that is what I am going to do for a little while until my money situation gets right and I can go get some hay.

Back
Top Bottom