Can silkies and other breeds chickens swim???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Juliechickens, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hi, we recently moved to a home with a swimming pool and my chickens are not too far away. If they were to wonder over by the pool and fell in,,,,can they swim? I have silkies, frizzles, cochin, rir, orpingtons,lakenvelders and a few others. Some standard, some bantam. Just wondering if they can swim or not. I have rocks around swim ledge where they could actually touch the bottom if they fell in around a specific spot but if they fall in the deep,,don't know what will happen. Please advise. Thanks, Julie [​IMG]

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I don't think any kind of chicken can swim.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I think someone on here a while back said that one of her silkies fell in her small pond and drowned and I don't think it was very deep. I would put up that netting you get when you don't want your kids falling in the pool.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Chickens do not swim.......

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No they don't swim... they'd probably down if left in too long. They kind of float though. Just no so good at the keep head up above water thing.

6. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I will have to disagree... years ago... on a different flock I had...my boys...at that age of meaness...5 and 7...would throw some of my chickens in the creek for absolute meaness and they DID swim. Thank goodness. That flock is long gone now, and thankfully the boys have grown out of that stage of..."Let's see if a chicken can swim" [​IMG] They were rowdy's at that age.

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I think a creek is different than a pool. They don't have paddles on their feet and can't tread water. I'd definitely put something around the pool. And OVER it if you can't/don't clip their wings!

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sure they can swim, like a brick!
    I'd make sure that they can't get near it...I even close the toilet lid when I'm not home and the girls are in the house.
    Obelisk flew over the fence into a neigbhour's pool, but she was moving fast enough that she sort of scooted along the surface.

9. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Maybe I should say...they were full grown chickens...but that is the gospel truth, they did swim. They were probably so scared they were more like walking on water than swimming.However I would agree with wegotchickens. A pool is a whole lot differerent.

10. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Please don't misconstrue what I said previous. I know chickens can't swim. I would go to great lengths to protect them from that pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by