Can silkies be incorporated into a mixed flock of standard chickens?

Oldhenhens

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Central Missouri
I recently hatched two keets and one backyard mix chicken. I was given two silkies of the same age. My current flock of 59 are all standard breeds and 3 guineas. I know how to introduce (see but no touching for awhile) and such but will the silkies survive the crowd of “big chickens”? The 2 keets, 2 silkies and my mystery mutt (cute just the same) are in an indoor brooder still. Not fully feathered but are testing those new wing feathers to fly out just the same. 😡. I’m planning ahead here. I’m in Missouri and it gets cold in winter.

Will I need to always keep the little silkies separate from the flock? They are so tiny and delicate. Thanks!

I recently hatched two keets and one backyard mix chicken. I was given two silkies of the same age. My current flock of 59 are all standard breeds and 3 guineas. I know how to introduce (see but no touching for awhile) and such but will the silkies survive the crowd of “big chickens”? The 2 keets, 2 silkies and my mystery mutt (cute just the same) are in an indoor brooder still. Not fully feathered but are testing those new wing feathers to fly out just the same. 😡. I’m planning ahead here. I’m in Missouri and it gets cold in winter.

Will I need to always keep the little silkies separate from the flock? They are so tiny and delicate. Thanks!
I have had mixed results with introducing silkies into a flock with standard breeds.
If they are raised together, then it can go quite well. In my standard flock, I have two silkie hens that are the bosses.🙂
I personally would not introduce silkies into an established flock. They will likely get picked on and there is risk of injury, especially if the silkies have vaulted skulls. I have a half silkie/half polish pullet that sustained a traumatic head injury from a failed integration attempt after a month of the "look don't touch" method.
I ended up building a separate coop and run for her and some other bantams.
There are likely others on BYC that have had other experiences.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.🙂

I have had mixed results with introducing silkies into a flock with standard breeds.
If they are raised together, then it can go quite well. In my standard flock, I have two silkie hens that are the bosses.🙂
I personally would not introduce silkies into an established flock. They will likely get picked on and there is risk of injury, especially if the silkies have vaulted skulls. I have a half silkie/half polish pullet that sustained a traumatic head injury from a failed integration attempt after a month of the "look don't touch" method.
I ended up building a separate coop and run for her and some other bantams.
There are likely others on BYC that have had other experiences.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.🙂
Thank you for your insight! My flock can get a bit rambunctious. The roosters tend to chase one another and I’d hate for the silkies to get trampled in the frenzy. Apparently I collect roosters like charms on a charm bracelet. I’m switching to only color sexed breeds!!!!

I ordered a pre-fab coop that I am going to (lovingly ask 🤣) my husband modify a bit. It says it’s good for 3 standard chickens so I think the silkies will do fine. I’m thinking of moving the one chick and guineas into it first once they are feathered out. The silkies are a new area for me. I have a lot to learn about smaller breeds. 🥰

Thank you for your insight! My flock can get a bit rambunctious. The roosters tend to chase one another and I’d hate for the silkies to get trampled in the frenzy. Apparently I collect roosters like charms on a charm bracelet. I’m switching to only color sexed breeds!!!!

I ordered a pre-fab coop that I am going to (lovingly ask 🤣) my husband modify a bit. It says it’s good for 3 standard chickens so I think the silkies will do fine. I’m thinking of moving the one chick and guineas into it first once they are feathered out. The silkies are a new area for me. I have a lot to learn about smaller breeds. 🥰

Those prefab coops are pretty small. Though with modifications should work nicely for your two silkies. They still need some run space, ideally 8 sq feet each.😊

You should check out this thread dedicated to silkies: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkies-they’re-simply-spectacular.1334299/
Great info there, but mostly we just post alot of photos!🤣

Back
Top Bottom