Can silkies be integrated in with LF ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Sep 13, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am needing to move two silkies in with some juvenile LF ameraucanas. Sadly most of the ameraucanas are cockerels and are starting to feel their oats. I tried moving the first in yesterday. She held firm against all but one and that one had her huddled in the corner scared to death.
    Questions-

-Can silkies be in the same pen as a LF rooster or will they get hurt?
    - How do I ease the transition? There are 4 hens to move in that pen with the cockerels. I don't so much worry about the LF hens as they are tough. I do worry about the two silkies that need to be in there.
    - Is it worse because there are five cockerels in there? Would the transition be easier if I went ahead and moved out the three that are leaving?

All the chickens have been penned next to each other. The two silkies in question actually hatched and raised the rowdy boys causing the problems. Clearly they have forgotten their family ties. Sigh.

I know there will be some pecking order issues to slog through. It was just awfully brutal. I don't want any of them to get hurt.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Okay, I'm illegally bumping my own thread since it got buried days ago. Perhaps it's in the wrong category?
    No one has an answer? [​IMG]

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok. Don't know much about silkies so I'm not sure if it works the same, I would think so but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have had much easier transitions when I add more than one bird in at a time that are already bonded togeter. This way they have a buddy to retreat with if the others are picking on them. (much nicer to go to a party knowing someone then by yourself to a room of strangers you know)
    I've seen pictures on here with people having banties with LF and they appeared to getting along just fine. I have a feeling that the more space they have the better it will go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by