Can Silkies Fly?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jennrauch, Oct 4, 2007.

1. jennrauch

jennrauch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2007
    Just that can silkies fly? our 2.5 month old and get a little air but doesn't appear to be able to fly. Dumb question I know.

2. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Not really well. Mine can get up about 2ft and travel about 6ft. Can't really consider that flying...[​IMG]

3. jennrauch

Oct 2, 2007
    almost appears that mine is hopping and hanging out for just a minute. I just feel bad for her everyone is roosting now at night and she's the only one left on the floor, I'll have to put in stairs

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    You might get one a little more accomplished than most but no, flying is not part of their abilites. I have one boy that can get up four feet, the others stay around the two foot mark.

5. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    my silkie's don't roost either. They prefer the corner. But I would try the handicap ramp if she is with other breeds. She vary well my want to be up with there also...

6. jennrauch

Oct 2, 2007
    I just feel bad no one to keep warm with. The rest of the other chicks are all other breeds, her partner and blue didn't make it from the hatchery, I just wish one would stay down with her. It's cute to see her try to get up with the rest of them but I don't see her making it up.

7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, My silkies prefer to sit on a block of wood rather than a roost. However they can if they wish get up there by way of a brick step!!
    I havent seen mine try to fly.

8. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Jenn, she won't be able to. If you give her a stairway with the steps about 18 inches apart then she will be able to join the rest at night.

Since my birds don't have any weight behind them I use 1X3's to make mini roosts for those that do want higher up.

9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Can silkies fly? [​IMG] It is probably good that they can't. They would probably fly right into a tree trunk. Mine were blind as a bat. [​IMG]
    Gayle

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Mine look more like they are hopping, skipping and jumping. Very comical. Mine always roost with the chickens but off by theirselves except for the little roo...Ty Pennington. When they first went in to the roost the other chickens pecked them all the time but Ty bullied his way in between the alpha roo and hens he just kept his little head down and went barging in. Now he roosts with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by