Can Silkies free range with Large Fowl Hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pjknust, Jul 25, 2011.

1. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    The more I look at Silkies the more Id love to have a trio. I have a small pen I could house them in during the day, and would probably crate them at night.
    I also have many ex pens to move them around in. However, is it possible for them to run the yard along side the Bigger Hens (BO, BR, NHR)

Also, another BIG question. Im afraid to buy anything except hatchery chicks because I have never had anything wrong with my small flock of hens and I am afraid that I will 'bring something into my yard'
    I also raise poodle puppies so I know all about the ins and outs of staying away from other breeders or letting somebody coming in 'just to look'. I also am a dog groomer and have people coming and going all day, but they dont come in my house where my puppies are. So its kind of a healthy balance. But getting chickens from somewhere else that have been on somebody elses dirt is another matter.

thanks,
    pam in TX

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yes they can run together with larger fowl with good management....

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Mine all free range together, share their coop,and when I had a BO and silkie go broody around the same time they shared the nest and are now the proud co-mommas of 10 5 week old chicks.
    [​IMG]

4. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    What a cute picture.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

My silkie does great with the big girls...here she is at 16 weeks....at least I think its a she, hard to tell yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by