Can small mallards and the bigger breeds live together just fine?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    My three itty bitty mallards aren't even allowed in the pond anymore!!!! My Rouens and my Pekins are making their lives hell. Is this normal? I am looking for homes for the bigger ducks, but so far, no luck. I have baby Cayugas in a cage right now and now I am worried that they will be bullies, too, though they are smaller than the other two breeds. Ugh.

2. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Aaaah, sorry I have no advice, but this is exactly what I was/am afraid of. It's not that I have anything against larger ducks; I just hate the size difference between them and my puny little Mallards!

3. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    It is even worse when a Pekin male and a Rouen male gang up on my little female. Makes me SOOO mad! I have even gone out there to try to save her, but can't get to them in the middle of the pond. I am half tempted to put up a fence around my mallards and give them a pool until I can rehome the bullies!

4. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:I think that might be a good idea! I bet even with limited space and a kiddie pool they would much prefer it to being bullied. [​IMG] Can't feel good to be stressed all the time. And it makes me wonder if the bigger guys might be keeping your Mallards from the food at feeding time...?

5. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

i say put you cayuga babys together and theyll gt used together becausei mean what are little cayugas gonna do to you mallards so maybe your cayugas when they get bigger will protect your mallards/my cayugas did that when i had a baby mallard the cayugas would bite and nip sny of my other ducks i had when they came close!

6. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I would LOVE if that happened.

What makes me sad is that they were my first ducks! So, now they aren't even welcome in their own pond. Sad! Little buggers, anyway!

7. pekinduck<3er

well just put the cayuga babys and the mallards together and let them bond and put them both in at the same time then theyll probably have bigger friends!

8. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I don't dare put my Cayuga babies in yet.....they just are BARELY getting their colored big girl/boy wings. Maybe in a week or two, that is exactly what I will do. I am hoping that I will find homes for my others before then. Keep your fingers crossed.

9. tadandrita

tadandrita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    I have 3 Pekins and a pair of Mallard mix and the former owners kept them all together. Well lil girl was over mated by Pekins and saddle and shoulder areas bald. Now separated seems to be recovering. THE BIG WILL ALWAYS TRY TO BOSS THE SMALL.

10. pekinduck<3er

Not always..wells alot of times if they dont bond when their young their are alot of cases when another speices bonds with another at a young sage and their best friends soooo why cant ducks do it?hmm?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by