1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME? BCM 10-WK OLD CHICK with wobbly legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChikieLyn, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ChikieLyn

ChikieLyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Central Valley, CA
    I have a 10-week old BCM chick that we noticed about 6 days ago wasn't walking quite right - not enough to remove him, but something wasn't quite right. He kept right up with the others, so there was really nothing to alarm us.

Saturday when we put him in a larger pen with more birds the problem was more evident and had gotten worse. He "sat down" a lot, or laid down. When he walked he was clearly wobbley, like he had just gotten new legs and didn't know what to do with them. Sometimes they splay out. He was fine before this.

We brought him in the house yesterday to try to see what was happening with him. He's been in the house 2 days now with no blood in his stool, no diarrhea, very alert and alive, not weak at all (except in his legs). He eats and drinks fine. Appetite is great - loves his freeze-dried meal worms.

He's been raised on Purina Start and Grow and has had grit and plenty of water available at all times. I took a video of him to show the issues he's having and put it on You Tube, hoping someone might be able to help us. We're new to chickens and this is the first problem we've had. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMSBrTHMt0

Any
    help or comments would be welcomed. We did put some Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins in his water, which he is drinking. Thanks for taking the time to take a look.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You've posted this issue very clearly and adding the video was great.
    I'm sorry that I can't help you, but perhaps this response will bump you back to the top of the queue.
    I'm sorry you are having this problem.

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Hmmm...I will try to find some more information on this for you, but my first thought is that you should give him some vitamin supplements, as vitamin deficiencies can cause this sort of symptom in birds.....and they can have deficiencies even if they eat commercial diets. Especially vitamin E which is used by their bodies to develop and maintain the nervous system. So, step one should be to get some Poly-Vi-Sol drops (without iron) from any grocery store or pharmacy and add a fe drops to his water every time you change it. Poly-Vi-Sol can usually be found in the vitamin or baby section at the store. Don't get the one with added iron, as this can be toxic to your bird. Also, supplement his diet with foods rich in Vitamin E. I have had luck in the past adding raw wheat germ to the crumbles....great source of vitamin E and healthy for the birds. Good luck.

4. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    wow i could'nt say, i'm not sure if its injury related, he looks kinda like he's dizzy! i def agree with the vits, i hope someone can help you out [​IMG]

5. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Oh, I wanted to add that if he won't take the vitamin drops in his water, you can drip it into his mouth carefully off your finger (3 drops a day) or you can mix it into a very small amount of wet feed that has a treat in it he really likes. Good luck. I know that many people have had luck using poly-vi-sol drops to treat neurological issues in chickens.

6. ChikieLyn

Mar 20, 2011
    Central Valley, CA
    Quote:Thank you - I forgot to add I guess that I've been putting the Poly-Vi-Sol (without iron) in his H2O since Saturday night. Maybe I'll try some wheat germ crumbles next - someone had also mentioned brewers yeast as well.

Thank you all for your posts - I'm off to get wheat germ now!

(Central Oregon Coast, eh? My sis drives over to Brookings all the time...)

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Check his hocks. Does one seem swollen and/or warm to the touch?

8. ChikieLyn

Mar 20, 2011
    Central Valley, CA
    Quote:Nope - both feel the same. I'm going to catch one out in the pen to see what they feel like when I go home from work so I can compare the "heat" factor. The entire leg is warm (both legs), but again, I don't know what it's supposed to feel like.... I'll know this evening. Thanks!

9. rdilbarova

rdilbarova Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Huntingdon Valley, Pa
    I am having the same problem with my little 2 week old chick. How did your situation turn out? Did he get better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by