Can somebody help my wobbly Sussex???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LuvMyChickies13, Oct 24, 2014.

1. LuvMyChickies13

LuvMyChickies13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Northern U.S.
    My speckled sussex (3yrs) seems to be in terrible condition! She hasnt been laying for a couple weeks although it could be the shorter days or change in season. She is not molting, although my other hen is but im sure that doesn't make a difference. She seems to be eating well and had been grazing just fine as well. Until later today. i walked outside to visit them and saw that she was really unsteady on her feet while walking. Her tail feathers are droopy. My dad and I looked at the vent(well that was unpleasant for all of us im sure) and could see no egg in sight as we were advised to look for. Im so scared that we might lose her does anyone have any idea as to what's going on with my little Sassy??? Is there anything we can do for her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can check inside her vent 1-2 inches with one finger (wearing a rubber glove) to search for a stuck egg. Since she is 3 years old, not laying, wobbly, and tail drooping, you might consider that she could have egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. Some people will treat those with antibiotics such as penicillin, amoxicillin, or baytril to give some relief and extend the life. If she has not been wormed, I would consider using Valbazen or SafeGuard Goat wormer 1/2 ml orally, and repeat in 10 days. Here are some links to read:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

1 person likes this.
  3. LuvMyChickies13

Aug 20, 2013
    Northern U.S.
    Thanks so much for the advice, I will send this to my dad. So do you hink there is anythin else bsides egg binding that is ailing her?

4. LuvMyChickies13

Aug 20, 2013
    Northern U.S.
    Im just so scared to lose her, we only have two hens...Cocoa would be so lonely. :(

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying are different from egg binding. The links should explain it well.

6. LuvMyChickies13

Aug 20, 2013
    Northern U.S.
    Alright I will read through those. Do u think she can make it?

7. LuvMyChickies13

Aug 20, 2013
    Northern U.S.
    @Eggcessive, I read those articles. It sounds like maybe thats what she has:( so not very much we can do to help her out then?

8. LuvMyChickies13

Aug 20, 2013
    Northern U.S.
    Oh forgot to add that her stool has been runny, her usual chirps and clucks sounded normal, and idk if this is just my nerves working on me, but it seems like the front of her might be a little bigger than normal...

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A vet may help you tell for sure that she has one of those. Antibiotics may help her for awhile, but many hens will get worse.

10. LuvMyChickies13

Aug 20, 2013
    Northern U.S.
    Ok. Thanks so much for your help tonight. I really hope and pray that she is able to pull through...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by