Can somebody tell me how smart chickens are

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Domonique116, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Domonique116

Domonique116 New Egg

Jan 2, 2013
    Okay i am wondering if someone can tell how smart chickens are

2. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    I taught Middle School in the ghetto for 12 years. Using the grading standards we were forced to use, my chickens would have been honor roll students.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  3. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    If you have them you will know they are like people, some are smarter than others :)

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Not real smart. In fact a dumb cluck kind of sums it up. Compare the size of their brain to the size of their body.

5. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    A lot smarter than I ever gave them credit for! Which is still not to say terribly bright, but they sure to figure things out better than I ever knew they could before I got them.

6. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    some breeds are smart, some are dumber than others (like silkies)

but it really depends on what your definition of smart is

7. 15shenyl

15shenyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Yakima Washington
    I think there not the smartest animal in the world, but they are smart. Three of mine know there names. JoJo in addition to knowing her name, I trained her to do a few tricks. She knows to "jump on shoulder", "go to roost", and I can tell her to wate and she will stay in one spot. We have snow right now and they walk along the fence line because there's less snow there. They also know when I have a plate in my hand there's a treet on it. But they can be very dumb at sometimes. When they free range all day, they forget to eat food in there feeder all day, than there starving when I come home. If I put there water container in the coop and not in there run, the don't drink until I put it back I the run. They sometimes get out and go over to the neighbors bushes to sleep during the night if I don't go out to check when it gets dark. I think it depends how they were raised, how much time you spend with them, and what you do with them.

8. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

9. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Some people think dogs may be the smartest animals in the world. Dogs do what we would do. If you throw a ball for a dog, the dog gets it and retrieves to their "pack" (you), it's a lot like going outside to the mailbox and retrieving the mail to your home. We know that dogs descended from wolves. Over time dogs learned to bark because they got what they wanted. For example, your dog barks at the postman until he leaves, the dog got what he wanted because he barked. It's a lot like saying "Stop!", because whatever you want to stop will stop (most likely).

Now chickens are intelligent but we sometimes just don't notice. Have your chickens ever roosted in trees? Well, mine do that every once in a while. They go to the highest point where it's sunny until the sun goes down so they stay warm as possible. Chickens have good memory. Some people have had chickens run away for 3 days (even more) and come back.

I even experimented with one of my hens. I made miniature feed sacks. 2 different brands with different designs (both had green on them). I gave the hen one of the sacks on day 1. She ripped it open and there was cracked corn in it (her favorite). On day 2 I showed her both mini feed sacks (I made a new one after she ripped open the first sack). She chose the one she opened yesterday. I even switched them around and around. She kept choosing the one she chose the day before. Since chickens are pretty food driven, she learned that bag #1 was the one with cracked corn.

10. outdoorpodcast

outdoorpodcast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    They are so smart, we humans can't ever figure out why they like to cross the road so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by