Can someone answer my questions about SLW and Silv.Penciled Rocks

Tony

Songster
Jan 16, 2008
Connecticut
I was sitting here looking around and started to think....what would the results look like if these were bred with a Lavender bird?
Lavender does not affect the white, correct? Would the black lacing on these birds be diluted to lav? Similar somewhat to the Coranation Sussex`s I`ve been seeing on Eggbid?

Last edited:
Those are very nice looking, but it`s not quite answering my questions, would the first generations of chicks resemble more or less Coranation Sussex? Lav does not dilute the white, correct? Would first generation be all black, then second generation be white and lav?

Tony, I'm not 100%, but the first generation would be all black and I believe the second generation can be a whole mix of stuff depending on what cross you choose. I don't work with lacing, so would have to play with the calculator to try to help. I'll see if I have some time later if no one helps you out.

Thank you Jody, I appreciate your response, I was beginning to lose hope in getting any type of help w/ my questions. I try using the calculator, but can`t figure out how it works.

White is the absence of pigment in the feathers, so you are correct that lavender does not affect it. Lavender dilutes both black and red pigment, but has no affect at all unless there are two copies of the gene present.

If you crossed a laced bird with lavender, black pigment would be replaced with lavender in the 2nd generation. Good lacing takes a combination of several genes in their homozygous state, so to get correctly laced birds you will need to hatch a lot, and perhaps take several generations to get all the correct genes into one bird.

Back
Top Bottom