1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone check my figures and tell me if this is enough?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Trefoil, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I don't mean to beat the subject into the ground. But although I trust the site I got this from (listed at the end) I didn't see when it was posted so don't know how old it is. * 1 ounce = 29.5ml. I'm using chickens because I could look up how much a chicken eats a day, and am using 1/2 cup or 4oz.( according to nutrena a laying hen eats 1.5lb/week) at that rate 15lbs of treated food would feed 60 chickens, giving each chicken only .491ml of safeguard.
    One-day Treatment
    1 oz Safeguard or Panacur per 15-20 lb feed
    Dissolve the fenbendazole product in one cup of water. Mix this solution well into the feed and give to the birds as their only feed source for one day. When completely consumed, untreated feed can be given. Be sure that the commercial medication contains 10% fenbendazole.
    Safeguard is a product of Ralston Purina, and Panacur is a product marketed by American Hoechst. One ounce of medication will treat about 1000 10-oz bobwhite quail. Adjustments of the amounts of medication and feed needed may be necessary depending on the number and size of the birds.
    Three-Day Treatment
    1.2 oz Safeguard or Panacur in 100 lb feed
    -or-
    4 oz pkt of "Worm-A-Rest Litter Pack" (Ralston Purina) in 50 lb feed
    -or-
    5 lb bag of "Worm-A-Rest Mix Pack" in 495 lb feed
    Feed all the medicated feeds free-choice for three consecutive days. The feed mixtures provide 75 ppm fenbendazole. Quail will receive about 1.7 mg/bird each day for adult birds or 2.75 mg/lb of bodyweight.
    Fenbendazole has been shown to be a very effective treatment for eliminating Capillaria (capillary worms), Heterakis (cecal worms), Ascaridia (roundworms), and Syngamus spp. (gapeworms). Toxicity from overdosing with fenbendazole is very remote. Research indicates that amounts up to 100 times the recommended dosages have been given under research conditions without adverse effects to the birds. Use of this product during molt, however, may cause deformity of the emerging feathers.
    This came from http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    @Trefoil ignore all that... If you were going to dose an individual pea, how much Safeguard would you feel comfortable giving it? What are your target worms?

-Kathy

3. Trefoil

Dec 7, 2011
    The only time I've ever individually dosed a pea was with ivermectin pour on 2ml on my short yearlings. When I have a pea that doesn't look right I have taken them to the vet, at which time he checked them for worms as part of diagnosis. Worms have never been the problem, so I don't "target" a specific parasite. I have several mixed flocks totaling 92 birds. I worm using safeguard or ivermectin 3 times a year, in between that I use"folk" remedies, vinegar in the water of my young birds,herbs, oregano oil mixed in the feed, pumpkin seeds,cayenne pepper mixed in the feed or whatever someone thinks of that doesn't sound toxic in the hopes of weakening the parasites enough to help the wormers be more effective. Its not particularly cost effective but so far has kept my birds healthy. I've had poultry for over 50 years. I like them. They aren't a business to me and the reason I have so many is because it hurts to sell. That is also why I seldom incubate. OMG, I'm a hoarder.

4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Let me ask this another way... if you were going to dose using Safeguard orally, how much would you give a max sized hen? I'm not gonna preach on amounts to give, I just want to give you another way to come up with an amount to add to their feed. [​IMG]

-Kathy

5. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Perhaps I am butting in, but; [​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Trefoil

Dec 7, 2011
    Sorry it took so long to reply,I had to find the file it was in. What I try for is 40mg/kg,repeating in 10 days. My problem lies in figuring out how much an individual eats. KBee- you're not butting in, thanks for posting the dosage info, I really wish we could get this info on a "stickie", I have it in at least 3 files as well as my calendar and still have trouble finding it when I worm. I don't worry too much about overdosing with safeguard, but albendazole I try to be more careful with.

1 person likes this.
  7. KsKingBee

Ok, and thank you. So if you are only worming for one day and then again in ten days you are only concerned about roundworms and cecal worms? It takes a five-day treatment if you are going to get all the other worms.

Are you feeding a ferment? I think you do if I remember right. If so it is fairly easy as you already know how much they are going to eat in a day. Just add up the weight of all the birds and add the correct amount to the mash and feed. If you feed them more than they can eat in an hour or so all the birds will eat as much as they need then you can feed again later in the day without the Safeguard.

That is exactly what I do and I have confirmed with fecal exams, both before and after that it works.

8. Trefoil

Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  9. KsKingBee

Quote:I haven't used Ivermectin since I tried it and lost a couple of birds so I can not promote it. However, IF I was going to go out on that limb, I would mix the recommended amount in the water that I intend to use in making my mash.

10. Trefoil

Dec 7, 2011
    I have thought about mixing with the water to make the ferment, but have been afraid I would lose it when I drained. also the info from Mercks was last reviewed in 2013, so it may be inaccurate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by