Can someone explain how a chick drowns in its shell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelly FG, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    My chicken books don't go into detail AT ALL. A few people mentioned they think my fully developed dead chick may have drowned, please explain what that means & why it happens?
    Thank you!

2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    There is still a bit of fluid inside the egg before it hatches (that's why a new chick comes out all wet.) If the chick starts pipping and cuts off blood flow from the air sac (that's how it's been "breathing" thus far) and doesn't get it's head out to get fresh air it will drown/suffocate.

This is my understanding of it.

Jess

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I could be horribly wrong... but I think it can happen one of two ways.....

the air cell is not where it should be whether because it detached or because the egg was placed upside down when set, and the liquid in the egg runs into the air cell when the chick pips the membrane INSIDE the egg.....

or...

The humidity is too high during incubation and the air cell does not get large enough to allow the chick to pip into the cell and breathe prior to hatching.....

and maybe.....

too high of humidity in the last 3 days can increase the amount of fluid in the egg prior to pipping????????????

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Correct.

Also if the humidity is too high during the first 18 days the egg will not shed the right amount of fluid.

A hatching egg should lose fluid weight as the hatch progresses, leaving more air space in the air cell.

5. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    this egg was under a broody....what could I have done to prevent this humidity problem?

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If it was under a broody, I can;t imagine that you can do much of anything, except maybe create a more stable environment for her to sit in.

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't see how a chick could drown under a broody. I have a feeling it was something completely different. That is just my own opinion.

8. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    she had a perfectly clean, hay filled nest for 21 days. [​IMG]

9. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, there are many things that can go wrong, even if everything seems "right" They cannot ALL make it, even under the best of conditions.

10. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by