1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone explain to me how this happened?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by growinupinfl, Dec 21, 2010.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I understand that there is some recessive traits that show up. I don't know if this little chick is just a freak of nature or what happened. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a white hen..I will show you

This chick hatched from a cochin egg, it is the only feather foot I have.. Mom was either
    [​IMG] or [​IMG]

Daddy was a buff orphington roo...[​IMG] ( yes he is in a diaper..)

Somehow they made this..[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Where did the barring come from? Why does she have the look of a sex link. And can I get anyone else's opinion if it is a rooster or a hen?

Thanks a lot
    Christal

2. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    Probably your white hen has some hidden barred genes maybe....(?)

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would say the mother of the chick is the White Cochin.
    She [the White Cochin] could be out of a Barred Cochin and is hiding the Barring gene.

Chris

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ditto to the others.

White is basically an off-switch to coloring, so it can hide just about anything. Especially if that white is recessive, it will disappear in all the offspring, and instead pops up Buff x whatever color the cochin is hiding. (looks like barring AND blue)

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I agree with the others and if this is the case then it would be a sexlink cross and since the bird is showing barring, he would be a rooster, but its kinda weird though becuase when I hatched chicks from a Buff roo on Barred hens, I got barred roos and the pullets had the same about of Buff leakage as that one does. So its like the color of a female sexlink with the barring ????????

Here is a pullet I hatched
    [​IMG]

And a roo
    [​IMG]

6. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I thought the color traits went father daughter mother son? And that the pullett would have the fathers coloring with the barred. Yes...no....I don't know..

Christal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by