Can someone explain to me the lavender gene?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
What would I get if I bred a lavender Ameraucana (or orpington, I'm still up in the air on breeds for my next flock) to a blue Ameraucana (or orpington)? How about breeding lavenders to blacks? What would that produce? I think I have a decent grasp on the black/blue gene... but not sure how the lavender would mix with these and how dominant or recessive it is.

My understanding is that the lavender is a different gene that also dilutes like blue... but it expresses when homozygous double recessive... so no splash... just lavender, split for lav (hidden lav) and black... since its a diff gene birds can have blue as well... effects do not appear to be cumulative.. so a blue lav will look like lav... note.. many report some negative issues with lav... like hatching problems... so no purpose in mixing blue with lav... but if you want the look of a pure "blue" line... lav will do it.

Lav to blk produces 100% black birds carrying lav gene... a back cross of lav with an F1 will produce 50% lav and 50% black (all carriers).... assuming blues in not in there to alter ratios.

Yes lavender is recessive. It takes the lavender gene from both parents to produce a lavender offspring. If a bird only has one copy it carries it sight unseen. Often called split for lavender.
Lavender is totally desperate from the blue gene. They are both dilute genes but unlike blue lavender also dilutes gold. Gold, buff, red etc.
Only issue I know of with lavender is the fray feathers that sometimes show up. Some lines seem to not have the issue and others seem to not be able to get rid of it. If you look at the tails of the lavender Orpingtons when they first started coming out you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you breed a lavender to a non lavender then they'll be splits. Breed splits together and you get 25% lavender 25 non lavender or split and 50% splits.
Lavender to splits gets 50% lavender and 50 % splits. Lavender to lavender equals all lavender.
Most don't mix lavender with blues or splash because it is sometimes hard to tell light blue and splash chicks from lavender. Also people that breed blues don't like surprise lavender showing up later on.
Birds that are split or carry the lavender gene can pass it from generation to generation sight unseen forever. Then one day you happen to breed to carriers together and lavender pop out.
Lavender is also called self blue.

Hi,
I have two lavender roo's and a lavender hen. I am wanting to breed them. One roo is much lighter than the other. I can't find anything that tells me if darker or lighter color is preferred in lavender orpingtons. Does anyone know?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom