1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone explain what happened, it may help bring closure...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quiobole, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Quiobole

Quiobole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Houston
    Yesterday one of my chicks was attacked by a cat at around 9 or 10AM. My dad was able to rescue it.

It had wounds on his head (a small scrape), right hip, and back (I think that's where the cat's tooth actually pierced his skin). We separated him from the other 3 chicks. They're two Buff Orps and the other one is his same breed.

He couldn't stand up at all and he kept his eyes closed for most of the time. Sometimes when he would flip over to lay on his other side, he would let out a shriek from the pain. He wouldn't drink or eat. He would sometimes eat when you gave him food out of my hand, but only a little bit. Also, we put his beak into the water bowl so he could drink. We gave him a small amount of children's ibuprofen (liquid). In order to take better care of him, I let him sleep in my room.

Today, he woke up worse

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First of all, never give ibuprofen to a bird, only baby aspirin on occasion. Could be it has puncture wounds or internal injuries from the cat attack.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd guess internal injuries too, based on how you're saying it reacted when it moved. You can continue trying to feed it (obviously if it's not eating/drinking, it will die)...maybe try srambled egg. And continue trying to get it to drink. Pretty much the rest is out of your hands...sorry. [​IMG]

4. Quiobole

Quiobole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Houston
    Sorry I don't know why the post was cut off. Sorry the title is " Can someone explain what happened? What could I have done?"

please look at it and see if you can help me

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All I can figure is what I said before, the chick has internal injuries. You could try to give it antibiotics to ward off infection, I suppose, since cat bites often become infected and painful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by