Can someone feel my pain? Updated lots of photos****

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shuizar209, Aug 7, 2009.

1. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Ok so Ive have chickens but never ever chicks. These chicks are RIR/White leghorn mixes. I would have never known how hard it is to sex them. Its been a never ending battle. Heres the story.

At first all were yellow except one which was tinted with brown. Yellow vs. brown. How can I be so naive.

Then combs started to grow in some and not the others. Comb growth vs. No comb growth.

The the combs started to grow on all of them. (except two) But some got red and some stayed orange. Red comb vs. orange comb.

Then they all got red. ( except two)

Some had black spots and some no spots and one have cream buff fading in the feathers. Black spots vs. no spots. And maybe the cream one is a transy. (LOL).

Now my current conclusion. Some have a very straight tail and some curve downward. Straight vs. curved

Now with this track record I know that will soon change but maybe not. I have so much respect for chicken sexers. This has all been fun so far. so even if I end up with all roos I would be ok with that.

Although this is making me crazy. I am afraid to go out there right now. There is prolly one more difference I will find. Maybe these chicks know what I am doing and they are playing games with me. LOL.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Can you post pictures? There are lots of folks on here who are good at telling the sex of a chick by looking at pictures.

3. CoffeeCowgirl

CoffeeCowgirl In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Oh I can relate as I am afraid two of my five are cockerels but they are SLW's and hard to tell for sure yet (3 month old)... but every night I wonder if I will hear crowing when I wake up ...
    AND I analyze every little change and drive myself crazy wondering ...

4. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Pictures are going to be the best way for us to help you.
    I'll add this to what you posted.

Yellow vs. brown.= with them being mixed means nothing in sexing them. some breeds it would and sex link chicks yellow would be your roosters brown would be pullets.
    Comb growth vs. No comb growth.= on straight combed breeds even mixes the early comb and wattle growth would be a good way to sex the rooster over pullets. roosters get early comb growth pullets don't.
    Red comb vs. orange comb.= red comb early are roosters, pale colors are pullets. pullets will turn red after they get older sometime before point of lay.
    Black spots vs. no spots. this means nothing in sexing them its just there color and being mixed breeds you could get lots of different colors etc.
    Some have a very straight tail and some curve downward. Straight vs. curved= pullets most often have a down curved tail roosters have a more up right tail.
    Saddle feathers will tell the tail of rooster over any other thing in tails LOL.

What age are your chickens? Also your roosters will be crowing sometimes as early as 6 weeks or as late as 18 weeks.
    hope this helped while we wait for your pictures.

5. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I have pictures but they are only 4 weeks is that too young... They arent very good pictures.

6. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:post them we may be able to tell by the combs
    if not in a few weeks we can try again lots of good folks on here
    that are happy to help in sexing chickens

7. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Stand by for some pictures............

8. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    They are 4 weeks old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  9. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Songster

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Just from looking at the pics I see LOTS of roos; just my opinion !! [​IMG]

10. Silkiefan

Silkiefan Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    You know, this is off topic, but I bet you could enter that second pic with the hen & her babies on, under, and around her in a photo contest... That's a great photo! By the way, I'm on my third "companion" for my 5 month old girl... they've all been boys so far... I think 3rd time's a charm and I finally have two girls. You're not alone in chicken sexing problems.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: