1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Can someone give me a good guess about my Silkie's gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Opalescent, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Opalescent

Opalescent Hatching

Mar 31, 2013
    Denver, CO USA
    Hello BackyardChickens!
    Well, our first chickens are 16 weeks old now and enjoying life romping around and foraging in the backyard. Our Aracuana and Silver-Laced Wyandotte hens are getting lovely, but my dear Beatrice (who may be a he-atrice) who we were hoping was also a hen due to city restrictions has started getting loud. She/he is lowest in the pecking order and super submissive though, so we just aren't sure if our suspicions are right. Can one of you more educated forum denziens tell me (or at least give us a "she probably is/isn't"? Here are some photos taken yesterday.

Beatrice also has nearly no crest feathers and doesn't have a single feather on her neck that /isn't/ a pin feather! She/he is one sorry looking chicken! Is it okay that she's a little sparse on her head or should we be concerned that something is up? Again, she/he is 16 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

2. maran man 32

maran man 32 Chirping

May 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I'm gonna say its a he and your right he is rough looking I'm not sure if keep an eye on him and post again In a week

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    rooster

4. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Songster

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Rooster......

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    rooster ...

6. Opalescent

Opalescent Hatching

Mar 31, 2013
    Denver, CO USA
    Thanks everyone for confiming my fears yet putting my mind to rest. He was my first chicken, and we were never planning to eat any of them so now the task is ensuring that he finds a good home where he also will not ever be put on a plate.

Thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by