1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone give me advice on Rattlesnakes and MOuntain lions.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicamama03, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chicamama03

chicamama03 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    We killed another in our yard (Santa Monica Mountains). Here' my question. I send my kids out to play. I'd like to do a *sweep* (if that makes sense) of the areas they run in (zip line, swings, etc...) any tips on how to do this?

Also, now there is a mountain lion passing through the back of our property (which backs up to over 200, 000 acres. It's, apparently a well worn train they have used for years (there are only a few in these hills (tagged and counted) but they are there. Help? Any tips. I have a wicked cattle dog and a German SHepherd (young) who will eventually get to be 100 pounds.

Thoughts or just overall feedback?
    [​IMG]

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Have you been in touch with the DNR? Just let them know your concerns. They may well have advise for you. Other than "they are a protected predator". The snakes, get um when you can.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Yeah avoid both snakes and lions.

Now onto practical advise, yes when the kids go out to play, go with them and check for snakes, while you're at it, check for black widows, those are far more likely to be a problem. (teach the kids to come get you if they see one, I have a son who'll rescue other spiders but will get me for them). Widows like dark areas under things, snakes like hot sunny spots. The lion, well not much you can do there, keep food garbage cleaned up (the smell of carrion can draw them), so avoid rotting meat smells. I spent years with a house backed up to a nature preserve, never saw the lions, saw a few snakes, but the widows were everywhere.

4. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    your dogs will be the best deterrent for the cat. I don't know what to tell you about snakes, but usually they stay away from high traffic areas; increased activity will make them scarce.

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Is it possible to electric fence an area? The best advice is to teach your kids how to be alert, not go near, what to do if you see one, be supervised, etc. Nothing is 100% guaranteed, but people can be taught how to be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by