1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone give me an example of raw diet?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Oct 28, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I know all the foods that I can include in our pup's raw diet, thanks to the kind folks here at BYC, but I'm still confused. None of the info. I've read tells me exactly how much and what to give him from day to day.
    Would someone be willing to take the time to write out for me perhaps a few days worth of what you actually feed your dog?
    TIA [​IMG]

2. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I buy ground beef dog meat from a supplier nearby me ( http://www.blueridgebeef.com )

I buy from them 30% fat ground beef, a ground organ meat mix, and ground green tripe.

I also buy 10 lb bags of chicken leg quarters from Walmart. I have a big freezer (actually several but using only one now) so that I can stock up on other things if there is a good deal on them, such as chicken backs, chicken organ meat, beef kidney, etc that I find at the grocery or walmart.

I use the following supplements from Nature's Farmacy:

Ultimate Vitamin
    Phyto Flex CCM+ bone a joint support
    Digestive Enhancer
    KA Calcium

I also rotate between Salmon Oil and Flax Seed oil.

Each meal, I dole out the supplements into the bowl, and then add about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of raw ground beef. In addition I add any table leftovers that are available, or well cooked grains for nursing grump or growing puppies. I add enough very hot water so that I can mix this and incorporate the supplements well.

Then depending on the dog, they get one or two chicken leg quarters along with this, or backs, or sometimes pork necks.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    So okay, if I were to give Jax two meals a day of 3/4 lbs. of raw meat - chicken, beef or pork - and then add a vegetable from the list of acceptable veggies plus the supplement, I would be doing it right?
    Sorry to ask so many questions of you. The link you gave me was very helpful and I will be ordering the supplements. I'm just confused as to how to prepare his daily meals.
    ETA: Right now we are using mainly chicken and beef. This morning I took out a pork roast that I had bought on sale for our meal tonight. I noticed that I only paid $4 and change for this pork butt roast and wished I had bought some for Jax. It just never occured to me to give him pork. I'm dense sometimes. Okay, alot of times. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I don't use a lot of pork meat, but they do like the pork necks.

Basically I have a base meal of some ground meat plus chicken with bone. I vary what I add to it each day. One day it might be raw eggs, or cottage cheese, or canned fish, or left over cooked broccoli, or left over cooked pasta, or steamed french cut green beans, or chicken hearts and gizzards..... you get the picture.

Variety is important, along with a good base, and the right supps to make sure you are getting the job done.

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Redyre- What is tripe? [​IMG] There's a lady on CL who's always looking for scraps and she listed tripe as one of things she wanted most.

We just had our steer butchered and made sure to save everything we could for the dogs. The dogs absolutely love eating the raw meat. I feel better knowing where their food comes from and the fact that they aren't eating junk....etc.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks so much Redyre Rotties for taking the time to explain that to me. We want to have this raw feeding down to a science before the new pup arrives.
    We are waiting for a friend to bring us a venison shoulder from his hunting trips. I'm sure Jax is going to love that!
    bhelia, tripe is the stomach from ruminants, like cows. Beef tripe is usually made from only the first three chambers of a cow's stomach.

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Thanks Gristar! Just as I was reading your reply I remembered reading about what tripe is [​IMG]

8. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    google sablerockkennels in MN..a GSD breeder...not only do they have some of the most awsume dogs I have ever seen....they also have a ton of raw food links on the links page..I am seriuosly thinking of getting a pup from them..even tho I just got 2 female pups from a different guy..I will post pics of them later..

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks. We are amazed daily by Jax and I'm having a hard time waiting for the new pup to be born in December. His name will be Kane. We originally wanted to name him Zeus, but Kane has special meaning for me.
    Good luck with your pups. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by