Can someone help and tell me what breed these two roosters are

matthewjam72

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Beaver Dam,
just picked these up last night trying to find out what they are here is the first and biggest one

100_0680.jpg

100_0679.jpg

100_0678.jpg

and the second one
100_0677.jpg

100_0676.jpg

100_0675.jpg

Last edited:
I fixed your links so the pics showed up.
smile.png

Not sure of the breed, but they sure are pretty! They might be a mix, which IMO are the best looking birds.
I love their huge combs and wattles!

Quote:
First one i dont think is, the second i would say is. Im no pro at marans so if im wrong
hide.gif
dont get crazy.
smile.png

Don't look like Marans to me.

Only thing I have with a comb that big is El Guapo, my Pene roo.

Coloring is close to GMs, but my roo, FBCMs, not Cuckoos don't have waddles that big and the comb is different. Matter of fact I had Cuckoos in my last flock and they didn't have them that big either. I may be wrong I just don't think so.

I would think they are a mix.

They sure are pretty.

BTW I'd put some neosporin on the dark spots of the first roo.

I love those combs and waddles!

Last edited:
Hi.......i do have BCMs.......the first one may be a BCM cross but not pure. The second looks like he could be a Golden cuckoo maran but if he is I would say he is an old roo by the little bit of leg and feet I could see. It is hard to say for sure on age or breed with most birds of unknown parentage. Nice birds either way.... congrats.

OK i was tired when I was in here before. Plus today is a bad day for me, so I'v ebeen kind of out of it lately.

I just came in and realized just how big the size of my own birds combs and wattles were.

These birds are close. I guess when I see other Marans I don't think they are as big as mine and so it throws me off. IDK I had to look at the comb on my Pene to see why I thought these were so big. His comb is just huge in comparison to the rest of him. LOL

I have a Golden cuckoo pullet out there. and that second one could very well be a roo. I bet if you asked lotsapaints she would know. She's working with those.

The top one looks like wheaten and black copper mixed together, but usually those come out one way or the other from what I've seen.

Your's are huge birds like mine, but it's hard to tell much when you have to hold them. I've had that problem a lot. My big Davis roo is the hardest thing to take pics of. The Prestely/ Valentine roo.....I always get horrible pics of. He'll look down right deformed because he moves weird every time. That's the main reason the roos aren't on my page.

Maybe if you were able to get more pics of them just standing it would help.

I still say no matter what, they are really pretty birds.

Hi well the first one could be a split Birchen that is 1/2 Black Copper and 1/2 Silver Birchen the second one looks to only have one copy of the barring gene and looks like a cross of Cuckoo to Black Copper....buying or trading with someone who can't give you more info is not good for you trying to breed something "pure" out of them but they are so pretty. If you lived closer I'm going to have plenty of Golden Cuckoo roosters they are eye candy for sure.

The one that is the biggest with the huge
Comb just got sent with us and the other
We were told to be golden cockoo we have
All different types of marans would like to
Get pure golden cockoo's though

If you already have some cuckoos you could use the single copy guy to raise some. 50% of his off spring would not be cuckoo and the others would run I think 50% silver and 50% golden so 25% on average for Golden like I said most Goldens are a project and most of them come mixed with other colors like Wheaten which isn't the best. There is no standard yet for Silver Cuckoos or Goldens so it's a free for all......This fall I might have some pairs for sale or in Jan.....right now all I have are extra roosters so far. I'm hatching now and the oldest ones are 8 weeks old they are from eggs like this

51426_100_2020.jpg

and most do not have feathered shanks.....

this is a cockerel

51426_100_2123.jpg

a pullet

51426_100_2107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom