1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone help first timer determine the sex (pretty please)?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by polochic, Jun 16, 2011.

1. polochic

polochic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Aiken, SC
    These are 2 Beltsville White's I hatched last year. I thought I had a pair, but no eggs? I read on BYC that if they have the wire thing coming from the chest it is def. a tom . Sure looks like a hen? Can anyone help? I know I have one tom(left side first pic), but am confused about the other. Does the knob on the nose mean a hen? If it's a hen why no eggs?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Looks like two toms to me.

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    2 toms

4. polochic

polochic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Aiken, SC
    thanks. They look so different though, but you guys r the experts? Why does one have the knobby thing on it's nose and the other has the long thing?

5. E-AK(TM)

E-AK(TM) Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    2 toms. They can elongate their snood (the knob thing).

6. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    maybe you end up with a dominant tom and a submissive one. Maybe the other doesn't want to show off and draw a fight from the other? but definitely 2 toms

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Hens have really tiny snoods, those are both toms. The wire thing coming down from the chest is called a beard, hens actually can have those so that isn't an indication.

A lot of times I talk to my toms in a high pitched voice (I say 'preeetty baby!) and it gets them to gobbling and displaying. With some experimenting you can find a sound that sets yours off and see if you can get both to display.

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    To the OP, try a google search for "raising midget white turkey" and check some of the links out, there are some great resources here on this forum as well. I would definitely recommend reading some older posts here, reading a book about raising turkeys, and of course the internet is a great resource, Google is your best friend [​IMG]

9. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    they are both toms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by