Can someone help? fowl pox or frost bite?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HensleyChickens, Jan 21, 2014.

1. HensleyChickens

HensleyChickens New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    Va.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    fowl pox or frost bite? Had a few really cold days but looks like some of the pictures of fowl pox. Please help

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If it was extremely cold it is surely frostbite rather than pox.

3. KatsChicks

KatsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    Poor Guy, it looks like mild Frostbite. My Roosters got it too. My large Roo has it very bad, from the Top of his Comb all the way Down :( Its been so Cold and Windy here. Can't wait for Spring!

4. HensleyChickens

HensleyChickens New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    Va.
    Thanks so much was getting a little scared it might be fowl pox. Just started raising chickens about a year ago. Still learning. lol

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That looks like aggressive pecking to me. At least from what I can see. My hens are always going for each others combs. When the blood dries it turns black. The white on his comb looks like a scrape from a beak. This comb looks like some of my lower ranking birds.

BUT...it is hard to see the tips of that comb and there could be some frost bite as well. Use some vaseline or bag balm. Will help both conditions. :)

6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I agree with @TwoCrows . Frostbite would start at the outer tips and progress inward with the level of severity. This picture looks like there are just spots which seems like it is probably dried blood from pecking. Either way, it's not much or a problem. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by