Can someone help give me info on this old chicken coop??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KD717, Apr 28, 2008.

1. KD717

KD717 New Egg

Apr 28, 2008
    We have this chicken coop in our backyard and we are thinking about selling it. I do not have much information about it, except that it is a hexagon (has 6 sides) and each side is approx 6 feet long and stands approx 7 ft tall in the center of it. It has a shingled roof and two windows. It is old, but still in good shape for the age. We considered fixing it up and making it a playhouse or just selling it. I don't even know if "chicken coop" is the correct name for it. Also, anyone have any ideas what this may be worth?? I have posted a few pictures as well. We have actually cleaned it all out since these photos were taken, so it looks better than what you can see in the photos - on the inside at least! Just click on the link below. Thanks for all the help!

http://kreffel.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album01" title="Photo Sharing by myphotoalbum.com">Chicken Coop</a>

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    What a neat building. If it was me, I'd be making room for more chickens!

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I do not think it was a coop, was it surrounded by fence(like for a chicken-run)?

It just looks like an old garden shed to me. I know that it "would" become a chicken coop at my place. LOL. Paint it up like a little cottage house and put a fenced run around it and even let some yellow climbing roses grow up and over the 'run'. It'd be a cool lil' coop, fit enough for the Southern Living magazines. LOL

I have no idea what an old shed like that would be worth. You would probably be better off using it as a shed, coop, or playhouse just because you do not know how well it would hold up in a move. A building like that would always be useful, whether you need it immediately or not. I would use it for storage, a coop, or a doghouse myself.

-Kim

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I would have had that building cleaned out yesterday! I'd have so many ideas for its use! Paint the outside, throw out the junk, keep it!!![​IMG]

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:I agree!

6. yardbird tx

yardbird tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I would sell it for 500.00 bucks.[​IMG]

Not including the fee to move it.[​IMG]

7. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    with the cost of things today [​IMG] boy would i love to find a building like that to make a coop out of [​IMG]

8. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Assuming the condition is good (meaning the cost of materials to turn it into a chicken coop would be nothing or next to nothing) I would put it up on Craig's List for $100, and the buyer is responsible for moving it.
    But of course you should keep it [​IMG]

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I would keep it if it were already on my property. And I would fill it with life (chicks) that is. Keep it. paint it. cause as soon as you get rid of it, you'll need it. Trust me.

10. KD717

KD717 New Egg

Apr 28, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. If we had chickens we would probably keep it, but where we live it would be hard to raise chickens. There are shelves inside it from where the owners had used it as a coop. It is a really neat old building, and still in good shape for its age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by