Can someone help me and tell me what breed he is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aplumlee03, Sep 25, 2016.

1. aplumlee03

aplumlee03 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

We have been to two shows with Little Bit aka cluck Norris. The same judge has counted him off and said he is not an olde english bantam. First show all he said was he is a game fowl. Second show he is an olde english mix. I was told when we got him that his daddy won a show in Huston out of 600 birds. It doesn't matter either way because he is so special and we love him. But just curious. We were told he is an brown red olde English bantam. What do you all think?

2. aplumlee03

aplumlee03 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here is a better photo of our sweet boy.

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

He does appear to be a Brown Red OEGB, but being pure doesn't mean he's show quality. I don't work with OEGBs a lot so I haven't really studied their standard, but it's possible he has some kind of DQ for the breed. Even championship quality parents will still throw pet quality and DQ offspring sometimes. Also, if he's over a year of age, he would need to be dubbed (have his comb and wattles removed) to make him eligible for show.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That's definitely not a Brown Red. I am very familiar with the SOP and I would say that is a poorly colored BBR OEGB. He also could have been marked down because he isn't dubbed.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

6. jcopas1

jcopas1 New Egg

May 10, 2014
    I think he is very handsome! But to show ppl - hmmm.

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'll defer to you since like I said, I don't work a lot with OEGBs. Out of curiosity, what are the differences you're seeing in this bird vs. a real Brown Red? Reading the '88 Bantam SOP I acquired recently is on my to-do list but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

8. aplumlee03

aplumlee03 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Thank you!!! No matter what he is, we think the world of him.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  9. aplumlee03

aplumlee03 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Thank you for your advice. I just hope everyone knows that I am not trying to second guess the judge at all. I am just curious on what he could be. It doesn't matter either way. He is and will remain our favorite. He will always have a forever loving home on our farm. We have raised show pigs, cattle and goats for years now. I understand just because his parents were show birds that it doesn't mean that he would be. I am just asking on the thoughts of what breed he is. I made sure before we went to any of the shows that he didn't have to be dubbed. None of the shows required him to be and if they did we would not take him. I can dis-bud a goat, cut pigs and manage any wound care as need but I don't think I could be the person that dubbed him. So he will forever have his waddles and comb. [​IMG] Thank you for your advice and if you have any other idea on what he could be please share it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by