1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone help me cure my girl that has sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oliviad51, Dec 11, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a barred rock hen that has sour crop. It's pitiful. She can't get anything down without throwing it up within seconds. She tries to swallow it down and I'm afraid she's going to choke on it. Also she is pretty old. Im not sure of her age, but she doesn't lay eggs anymore and she acts as if she is old. I don't want to do the throw up method (where I hold her upside down and make her vomit) because of the reasons mentioned above. I have her in an old rabbit hutch with a 60 watt bulb for warmth.

I took her food away and I'm giving her vinegar water. I will give this to her for 3 days then try yogurt. After three days of that I may try and give her some egg. My questions are:

1. Is the vinegar supposed to make her vomit all of the 'gunk' out of her crop or does it get rid of it a different way?

2. Does the solution mentioned above sound okay? Should I try a different method?

Should I be doing anything else to help her get rid of this? Its pitiful seeing my girl like this and I want to cure her as soon as possible.
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds a LOT like sour crop. I've never had to treat it ( [​IMG] ) so do a search and see what the various approaches are.

Best wishes!

3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks so much! If anyone knows how to treat this please let me know! In the meanwhile, I will be searching on BYC!

4. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I'm having this problem right now too.. I was told to make her vomit. From my topic:

Quote:I actually didn't hold her by her legs, I held her close to my body and pointed her downward..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  5. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I gave her some apple cider vinegar and took her food away. Tomorrow I will give her some sugar free yogart and maybe a little scrambled egg. Does that sound ok?

I really didn't want to make her throw up, but of course I will if I have to. In other words...I wanted to try every option before making her vomit. Thanks for the help. If there is something I should be doing or if Im not doing something right, please let me know. Thanks!

6. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    there was just a great post yesterday or the day before on crop surgery pictures- you may need to open her up. good luck.

7. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I will do that but can I wait and see if this method works and if it doesn't then open her up? Do I have time or could she be worse or die by then?

8. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    ok I edited the first post. I had some more questions. thanks for helping guys :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by