1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone help me!DE questions..NEW ? LAST POST

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SamG347, Aug 17, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Find a place to buy Food Grade DE? I want a good place that is cheap. Or does anyone else have any other Mite treatments besides DE. I have just noticed little Orange what look like bettles or something on my birds. I just went out tonight to check. I dont see any crawling on roosts....or anywhere else like in bedding so I dont think i have a large infestation or anything. But I dusted the coop and the birds.
    Plez help!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    We get ours from McGeary Organics Inc. 1-800-624-3279 . You can probably also just use poultry dust you buy at a local feed store.

Jody

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
  5. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Thanks all!!! How often do I treat and how? I just went out tonight and treated everyone I think...I dusted all the bedding in the coop and sprinkled a fair amount on each bird.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

6. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    anyone?

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sam, you can dust them once a week or just whenever you feel it is necessary. You can also just poor it into their favorite dusting hole and let them do the work. [​IMG] When applying it direct to the bird, I would rub it on well making sure to get the vent area and under the wings and belly as well as the back. When we thoroughly dust a bird, they get covered and I mean completely covered in it and are put to the ground to shake down. You should still see the DE on them after they shake down and you know you did it well.

Also sprinkle it around the corners of the coop and nest areas.

I will also note that hens are usually better self-dusters than roosters. As long as you keep an eye on them and dust them now and then they will be fine.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by