1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone help me figure out what is going on?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terrilhb, Jan 23, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a 1 day old chick. The following pics is what is wrong. Had 1 other that looked like this but it disappeared. The chick is walking eating and drinking. Seems fine except for this. Maybe it is new momma syndrome. LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thank you

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Possible unabsorbed Yolk sack?

3. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    OK so what do I do about it? Thanks

4. BriarRose Farm

BriarRose Farm New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    Is it causing a health problem for the chicks? If not, what is your interest?

5. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    No it seems fine. I just wondered cause the others don't have it. This is my 1st hatch and I am a worrying mom. [​IMG] Just wanted to make sure it is ok. It eats, drinks and plays. Just wondering.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

That is called a rough navel. It's where the umbilicus didn't close. As long as it's drying up it will be fine. If it's wet it can stick to whatever is it one like wood chips etc. That one looks like it is healing pretty well so nothing needs to be done except make sure the others do not pick on it.

1 person likes this.
  7. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you so much MandyH. They aren't. I just wanted to make sure it was ok. It is doing really well. Thanks again for the help.[​IMG]

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Sure thing. I hatch about 2000 chicks every Spring and it happens. It's usually do to humidity issues during hatching, or too high of a temp during incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by