can someone help me figure out what we are doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countrykidsx7, Jun 9, 2008.

1. countrykidsx7

countrykidsx7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    we have been trying to hatch some eggs. We have done 5 batches now, ranging from 3-15 eggs each, with no hatches from any of them. We know the eggs are fertile. We have cracked them open once we know they arent going to hatch & have found everything from no development at all, to a few days development, to about 15 days development & 1 that looked as though it should have hatched any time. We have used 2 different incubators, the first was a Little Giant, the second we borrowed from a friend & I dont know the brand but it is a commercial grade bator that regulates temp, has a humidity gauge & automatic egg turners. The eggs have come from 3 different sources & we have gotten the same types of development with all of them. Any ideas what we might be doing wrong????? We would very much like to get at least 1 hatcher [​IMG].

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I think you need to buy a new therm/hygrometer. It sounds like maybe you are having some temp/humidity issues. What brand of therm are you using?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2008
  3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Really need to know what kind we're talking about here.

The problems with the Little Giant are usually temperature related. Spikes, etc. But humidity could also be a factor. Still, the main key to incubation is a GOOD thermometer.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have to ask if the incubators are being sterilized between attemps at hatching. Bacteria you cannot see can be lurking and cause every hatch to fail.

Are the eggs shipped?

What thermometer are you using?

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I found out the hard way that diet of the breeder hens has a lot to do with it, a couple of weeks before you start collecting eggs to hatch, switch the hens to a game bird feed. The extra protein makes for stronger fetuses.

6. countrykidsx7

Jun 9, 2008
    It is from GQF manufacturing company, model 1202
    similar to this one https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_listOneCategory.asp?idCategory=29 but apparently no longer made.

thermometer/hygrometer is Taylor brand, it may be quite old. Was in it when we borrowed the bator.

2 sets of the eggs were shipped, different sellers. The rest came from my uncles chickens.

Hmmm no [​IMG], I never sterilized the first incubator between hatches, never thought about it since it didnt "look" like it needed it. The one we borrowed I don't know about. I didn't when we borrowed it, never occurred to me, Im obviously new at this hatching buisness. [​IMG] He said he hasn't used it for several years so who knows what may be in it.

How do I sterilize it?? Bleach water??? GSE in water?? Special stuff??

7. countrykidsx7

Jun 9, 2008
    Where can I get a therm/hygrometer cheap??

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I use an accurite digital. You can find them at walmart. Yes, clean those bators.

This is what I do with mine -

Wash with hot soap water.

Rinse well.

Rinse with a solution of bleach and water.

Rinse well.

Set in the hot blazing sun to kill anything the washing didn't get.

Put it all back together and get ready for the next hatch.

9. countrykidsx7

Jun 9, 2008
    Ok, looking at the bator I saw that it definitely needs cleaning inside [​IMG] Towards the back especially it is really bad, you just cant see it without looking. At the very bottom, right under the hatching tray, there is a piece of foam type stuff. Should I throw that out? Im guessing it would not be very cleanable. Im not even sure what it is for actually.[​IMG] If I throw that out do I need to put something else there?? It dosnt seem to be a necessary part of the bator. [​IMG]

10. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Quote:I can do it all but that!! Out here I think the sun has gone away to
    never come back [​IMG] we are darn lucky to get in the high 50's
    should be in the low 70's. [​IMG]

John [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by