Can someone help me figure this out??? ***UPDATED***

ChickenladyinMN

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Isanti, MN
I set eggs in my incubator on April 13th day 21 should have been May 3rd. All the eggs were not laid at the same time I collected them over a week, then put them in the incubator. The temp was fine and the humidity was good. I tried to candle the eggs and they were all dark so figured there was something inside on May 6th I was turning them in the morning and noticed one had a hole and was starting to hatch. It took that chick 12 hours to come out of its egg and then it wanted to lay on its back (thats another post). So at the time this one was hatching 2 other eggs were making noises and them they got bumped by this chick and they stopped making noise for about 2 days. They are making noises again but there are no breaks in the shell. So I am trying to figure out why this one hatched and the others have not - they were actually collected befor this one it was one of the last ones to be collected. I am almost 2 weeks past my day 21.

Last edited:
Oh wow sounds like your bator is running low in temps. Have you calibrated your thermometer or tried a new thermometer in there to see where the temps are. I use one of those digital doo dads with the humidity and temps on there. I would also try opening an egg that is making noise and see whats going on in there.

They were due May 3rd. Why were you turning on May 6th? You said you collected eggs for a week, set them all on the 13th. When they were laid shouldn't matter, since the incubation process started at the same time for all of them.

April 30th should have been the day you went into lockdown, no turning, no opening the incubator.

It sounds like it's 2 weeks past Day 21 and you still have the eggs in the bator? I would recommend removing them VERY carefully to avoid exploding eggs. Then do some more reading and try again! Aske questions, I'll try to answer.

Hold on here- 2 weeks after Day 21 and they are making noises? What are you hatching?

Ask one of the mods to move this to the incubating forum.

That is my first thought.....what are you hatching? And do you have your dates right? I find it pretty hard to believe that 2 weeks after day 21 the eggs would have anything viable in them. If there would happen to be I would think they will have lots of problems. Chicks hatched just a couple of days late are much more likely to have deformaties and other problems.

Quote:
Why do you still have the eggs in the bator if they were set on the 13th of April and due to hatch out May 3rd? Not a staggered hatch right? Sometimes hatches will go past the due date to day 25 or so but that means temps have been extremely low.

Chicks take up to 24 hours and longer from pips to zipping out of the shell so 12 hours is an easy hatch for some, they do and will flip over on their back but usually they can get back over on their own.

I am hatching chickens. The temp has remained at 95 except at 20 minute cooling period. I just turned the eggs this morning and they are still making noise. It sounds like a chick moving in there and light tapping noises. The first chick to hatch took 12 hours and it was day 25. When I was younger I remember the chicks would only take a couple of hours to get out of the egg. When I said the chick wanted to lay on its back that's how it wanted to be, we would right the chick and he would flop right back over on his back. I put him in a small dish and packed papertowels around him, forcing him to sit upright, feet under him and keep his head down, he stayed in the dish in the bator for 12 hours and when I woke up in the morning he was walking around like a normal chick. He does not seem to have any problems at this time, except lonelyness. He had splay legs but we have corrected that.

If you kept your temp at 95 throughout the incubation process--thats your problem.
The temp should be 99.5 if you have a fan in the bator, circulating the air.
The temp should be 100.5 in a still air bator.

At 95 ALL the embryos would have developed exceptionally slow, if at all. I'm surprised you've had any hatch.

I'll have to let someone else chime in on IF they would develop, just at a much slower rate, because I have no experience incubating at that low temp.

Quote:
Your temps are way too low. I don't know what kind of incubator you're using, but if it has a fan, your temps should be 99/100 and if it's a still air 101/102.

You're days are not adding up.....in your first post you say the first chick hatched almost 2 weeks past the hatch date.....now you say it hatched on day 25. You need to get your story straight on what is happening.

Quote:
Your temps are way too low. I don't know what kind of incubator you're using, but if it has a fan, your temps should be 99/100 and if it's a still air 101/102.

You're days are not adding up.....in your first post you say the first chick hatched almost 2 weeks past the hatch date.....now you say it hatched on day 25. You need to get your story straight on what is happening.

No I said that I am 2 weeks past day 21 and I am hearing noises but no hatching.
I am using a still air incubator - there is no fan and there is a place in the bottom for water. Its a very old styrofoam incubator, we use to hatch eggs in it when I was a kid. just checked temps and it says about 95, I turned it up a little. I am still hearing noises from inside the eggs and I still have the eggs in the bator because my daughter threw in some new eggs last week. Also because I am hearing noises I don't want to give up on them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom