can someone help me identify breed pls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by samas, Feb 7, 2013.

1. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

i got him tree months ago and he was half the size he is now
    [​IMG]

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Not sure on breed , maybe a wyandotte cross with a feather legged breed.

Take a look at his feet and make sure that he doesn't have scaly leg mites. Tops of his feet look like the scales are raised but I can't make the picture big enough to see. Its easily treated with vaseline.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Maybe he's some sort of brahma/wyandotte mix?

Definitely look at his legs, they look like they need attention.

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    He is a mixed breed. I agree with the others, he appears to have scaly mites.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

thanks he does have scaly mite aswell as my other three chickens,i got them like that and at the time i didnt know anything about chickens at all so i assumed they just had ugly looking feet, ive read that the best way to get rid of scaly leg is to pour surgical spirits over the legs and then rub vaseline on them,ive giving them a bath and clipped there nails and rubbed there feet out with vaseline a month ago but hasnt really helped also its kinda cold and windy now so ive been prolonging the baths,any more info would really be apperiated on getting rid of scaly leg oh is it contagious ,could my cochin girls get it from him

6. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

could he be a booted bantam

7. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    You don't have to give him a bath. Just continue to rub vaseline on his legs every day or so, until they go away. If untreated, it can spread amongst your other fowl.

He isn't a booted bantam. His body type is wrong. However, I just noticed you live in South Africa, so it is possible he is a breed that we (most of us are in the USA) don't know/see.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  8. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

oh ok thanks rhoderunner really appreciate it ,i dont know what made me think i need to bath them everytime i apply vaseline its kinda silly now[​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Looks like some sort of a cross using Buff Colombian Wyandotte.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he is a mix.

as for the leg mites get some vetRX. this stuff is in no way cheap but works like a charm. follow the directions on the bottle and the legs should start looking better in no time...sorry i tried all that other junk and nothing worked but this stuff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by