can someone help me identify my chicks they are only a week old and apparently are Lavender Araucana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NathanE94, Feb 20, 2014.

1. NathanE94

NathanE94 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    hey got 2 chicks from a private breeder off gumtree yesterday and just trying to make sure if they are what i got told they are because i have read that Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers can also be mistaken as Araucanas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not familiar enough with this breed to help, but I'd ask if you saw the parent stock? Or at least pictures of them?

3. NathanE94

Feb 19, 2014
    Yeah i did but they looked grey in colour and looked like they had tails but i rhort this breed is rumpless(no tail feathers or tail bone)

4. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

In Australia we have both rump less and non rump less ara's. Mainly rump less have very high fatality rate and I believe our standard is different from American standards.

5. NathanE94

Feb 19, 2014
    Oh yeah so they are still araucanas then According to Australian standards ?

6. They do look Lavender. Not sure if they are rump-less one looks like not, but Araucanas do sometimes have tail-feathers, cannot be shown if they have tails but are still pure Araucana, I do not see any tuffs on them but they also sometimes do not have tuffs, Double tuffs and Rump-less are the only ones that can be shown, but for pets it does not matter.

7. Are you in the US or another country that could make a difference.

8. NathanE94

Feb 19, 2014
    Nah south australia and i was just hoping to have rumpless and tufts on my chickens coz i thort they would look cool, doesnt really matter tho

9. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in Sydney. Don't miss understand either that Easter egged are crossed bred blue egg later. On the Aussie site if you have time troll threw the discussion we have talked about it a bit on there

10. Ok then that does make a difference.

They are adorable chicks love them and their color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by