Can someone help me identify this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Balloonjuice, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    [​IMG]

2. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, but I don't know. Never saw one like it before. But Welcome! I'll be interested to find out what it is too!

3. Balloonjuice

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    Chickenwhispers,

We bought this place two years ago and it had a chicken coop and "secondary" building that had not been used in quite some time. There was a 1989 calendar on the wall of one of the rooms in the secondary building. I want to raise layers, but having spent 65 years as a "city kid" I'm finding I have a lot to learn. I'm just now getting the coop to the point where I think I could keep the chickens "safe" from local predators. Trying to clean the place up one room at a time. And each room seems to raise more questions. [​IMG]

4. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    You probably have snakes, I'm guessing? Hardware cloth, 1/4", will be good for snakes.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    It may have served at one point as a brooder box for day old chicks

6. Balloonjuice

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    There are snakes on the property -- mostly Texas rat snakes. The cats do a pretty good job. Thanks for the tip.

7. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Where about are you in Texas, North south east or west?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I agree, brooders.

9. Balloonjuice

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    I am in Kaufman county, where Kaufman, Henderson, and Navarro counties come together. We are about 65 miles SSE of Dallas. Some folks call that east Texas and others call it north Texas.

We've been out here in the countryside for about two years. The property was neglected for several years before that, so there is plenty to do around here to keep us busy. I was looking at the chicken coops last fall thinking I could get them ready by spring. But as I wrote above, it seems every time I finish one part of it, I realize something else that needs to be done. After that terrible cold snap we had about a week or so of really nice weather, so I've been getting a lot more done around the place. I really appreciate this forum and am glad to have the help. Now I'm "reading up" on brooders.[​IMG]

10. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    We went to Del Rio last year, I really loved travelling through Texas countryside. Flew in to San Antonio and drove from San Antonio to Del Rio. Loved the Wide o p e n views! I was really glad though for the small towns that dotted the drive!

I understand about property being neglected for years before purchasing. We did the same here in NW Ohio! And getting coops done, It's always something! But it is fun! Usually![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by