Can someone help me judge these birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brooster, Nov 2, 2008.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I need someone with an American standard of perfection, or a judge to help me. I am going to get some New Hampshire Bantams for show, but am not exactly sure what to look for. I found a breeder, but am not sure how good the birds are. Here they are can you help me? Thanks http://www.eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1225321803

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Those are beautiful birds. I can't help you with the standards but they look very healthy and in great condition.

3. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, I'm very pleased with the male, I don't much like the body type of the females, BUT...their colors match what the standard calls for in terms of the black tipping the neck feathers and such.

I'd go for it if I were you. Not bad birds at all.

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Do you have the american standard of perfection?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The body types on the hens look odd to me. Maybe it's my hatchery NH girls skewing my view, but seems those should be stockier than that. They almost look like OEG shaped. Am I off-base here?

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    speckled, I see the same thing.

brooster, yes, I'm looking at the SOP right now.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I think they are very nice, the ones listed in the Storeys Illustrated Guide have the same body types. They would be something I would try for if I were into that breed.

8. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

For showing they look pretty nice, yes.

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Nice birds...look just like 2 winners in a recent show I attended. I'd go for it.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good to know that these are good looking NHs. The hatchery ones vary so widely, you dont even know what you have sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by