Can someone help me please?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Aug 1, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    hello, i have 4 scovy ducklings that are about 5 weeks old. i noticed that they are all picking at eachothers wing feathers that are coming in. one of them is even bleading from the tips [​IMG] is there anything i can do to stop this? i thought about separating them but it's not just one duck, they are all doing it to everyone, plus they HATE being apart and freak out. i don't know what to do and hate seeing poor scooter bleading [​IMG] any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Uh-oh. It must be that the pin feathers look different and interesting. If they are all doing it to eachother, the only suggestions I would have would be to try to fashion little jackets for them or tape socks over their wings or vet wrap so they can't see the pin feathers.

3. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    thanks for your reply! i'll try and make something for them to cover their wings [​IMG]

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You might try Qwell brand 'Anti-Picking Spray' for cage birds -- it might be spelled Kwell, or maybe even Quell.

Anyway, I found it at my local pet store in the bird section, and it worked great when I had picking, even bloody picking, in my chickens -- stopped it cold.

I guess it tastes super nasty!

5. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    great! i'll look for some at our pet store. that would be a lot easier than trying to make something for them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by