1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can someone help me!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chcikenlady, Oct 18, 2016.

1. chcikenlady

chcikenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    Can someone tell me what I'm dealing with here. I have already lost one baby and now these babies have it! I have attached pictures. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That looks very serious. Do you have a vet that would see them? You can also post in full detail and with photos at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, " thread. I would suggest seeing a vet pronto. It may be quite awhile till the er people see your post and I doubt that many will know what that is. Also once you go offline, no one can reach you.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our flock but sorry it's under these circumstances. I agree with everything Diva said above....looks like she needs a poultry vet. Best wishes and good luck to you!

4. chcikenlady

Oct 18, 2016
    thank you for the warm welcome, I have also posted in the other thread.

5. bald Rooster

bald Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2016
    Orlando area
    Im new at chickens so don't take my word for this! But
    I think its Black head. I bought some chicks with it. I did not take them to vet so Im not sure if thats what it is.
    Its not always fatal with chickens but there is no cure.Those crusty scabs can be removed from them.Its almost always fatal with Turkeys.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so gad you joined us,but so sorry to hear about your chicks! I do not know what it could be, so I hope the folks on the ER thread can help you out on that one! Good luck with the chicks and I hope you enjoy BYC!!

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

That looks like a severe eye infection, but in any case if you're seeing it in multiple birds you should definitely contact a vet.

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

There are incredibly few substantiated cases of Blackhead in chickens. It is a disease of turkeys. What you are dealing with sounds more like fowl pox.

9. chcikenlady

Oct 18, 2016
    I was wondering if it wasn't fowl pox, but hated try to treat for something and it be the wrong thing. I'm going to do some more research on that and see what I can come up with. Thank you everyone for your concern and your support for me and my poor babies.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by