1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone help please??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DarleneE, Aug 29, 2016.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Does anyone know what the dose would be for SMZ TMP 480mg for a 4.1lb 21 wk Black Australorp??

I've only had her about 3 weeks now. I've noticed that she seems like she's sneezing sometimes?? Then she'll also make like this high pitched PEEP sound?? It almost sounds like if she had something caught in her throat and was trying to clear it?? These 2 things aren't constant or anything yet she's done them enough to get my attention and worry me. She has no drainage or mucus from her beak or nostrils. She's eating very well and drinks water well also. She is up and walking about normally most of the time though she and my only other chicken, a 2 1/2 yo Barred Rock, love to come inside to the kitchen where there is cool AC and they'll both lay and take naps when they can!!

Yesterday I noticed that she's closing her right eye either halfway or all the way. Again no drainage or cloudiness that I can see when she opens it. I may have possibly scratched the eye with my finger, NOT with my nail.. just my index finger I think touched her eyeball as I was trying to take a piece of bedding or something off her cheek and she moved, thus my finger touching her eye I think?? I may have irritated it?? OR it is possible that the older BR may have pecked her eye?? Though again I don't think this is the case as I don't see any injury to the eye.

I'm just really worried because she's fairly new to me. I don't know what is normal to her. I recently lost my EE who was hatched with and always lived with my BR for unknown reasons?? VERY possibly a worm infestation.. secondary to eating earthworms. I can't even go there however as I'm still in terrible mourning for her as she was my best gal. I love her so.... I can't go thru losing another baby again now!!

So being as I have the SMZ TMP here on hand, and I've read it's very good for many things, I thought why not give her a round?? Would it hurt her or couldn't it help if there is something brewing?? I will be more than glad however to go buy anything else if someone can tell me of something more appropriate!! I just want to be certain my baby girl will be OK and there is nothing wrong with her!! Oh she is also losing lots of her baby feathers. The little under feathers. Do the juveniles go thru a little mini molt as they grow in their big girl feathers?? My BR is also just going into molt, however this will be her 2nd molt now as she's an adult. I thought it was a bit early for this as we live in Florida and with this heat here it's hardly fall which is when I THOUGHT was when they usually molt?? Last year she didn't molt until October??!!?

Well, anyways, this is what I have going on and was hoping someone could tell me what to do.... if anything.
    Thank you in advance!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dosage for SMZ-TMP in one link is 25 to 50 mg per pound of weight orally twice a day, which is 100 to 200 mg for a 4 pound chicken. The other link shows treating the water. With either way, treatment should be 2-3 days, and if no improvement, a vet should be consulted. Here is another link for common respiratory diseases such as MG, coryza, ILT, viral infectious bronchitis, and aspergillosis from mold fungus. Sorry for the delay in posting, since the site was down.
    https://www.drugs.com/vet/smz-med-454.html
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/SMZ-Med-454-p1189.aspx
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Eggcessive,

You're a lifesaver!! I thank you most sincerely for your help and your time!!

Darlene

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. I hope your chicken recovers.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by