1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone help us sex our new chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cree, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Cree

Cree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Lino Lakes, MN
    We just recently(2 days ago) had our first ever chick hatch(Jersey Giant). We're praying it's a hen, but can't tell. She was almost 3 days early. Here are some pics, any help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I'm sorry, but it is to young to tell. Maybe try again when it is 6-8 weeks old. Is it the only one that hatched?

3. Cree

Cree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Lino Lakes, MN
    It's the only one so far, we got 6 Jersey giant eggs and 6 bantam ameraucanas on the same day from someone I found online, and this one hatched 3 days early. Initially it didn't seem like it was going to make it. Now it's very strong and loves to be around us if not held by us. I candled the rest of the eggs and I think we may get 2 more Jersey giants, but I don't think we'll get any of the ameraucanas, but they are extremely hard to see when candled. The shells of the ameraucanas are very poor looking, their density is not even when they are candled. But we're still hoping.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I hope you get as many as possible. I was just asking if it was alone, because it would be very lonely. But since you should be hatching some more and you seem to be handling it a lot, it should be fine. Good job! :)

5. Cree

Cree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Lino Lakes, MN
    Ya I'm starting to lose hope for the other eggs. I ordered some new eggs from a different person so she shouldn't be alone for too long. But we take her out and interact with her as much as possible to keep her from getting too lonely.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Too young to tell, sorry. Try again around 6 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by