Can Someone Help With A Duck Gene Question?? NEW.. Pics ...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickie Mamma, May 11, 2010.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I have 3 ducks : Female White Crested (double crest), Female Cayuga, and the Drake is a non crested white, with crested genes. They all have been mating and I have been hatching like crazy [​IMG] The ducklings hatched out from the Cayuga are always black (dominant??) , the ducklings that hatch from the crested are all pure, some with nice full crests. Its been like this for about a year... til now.. from one of the Cayuga eggs, a BROWN baby was born (chocolate color) with a white bib. I have hatched dozens and never got one that color. How rare is it? We kept "Cocoa" [​IMG] Also, would I ever get a crested Cayuga since the drake carries the crested gene? Just curious [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not know, but sure would be interested in the answer. Here is a bump

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    If the brown is like a uniform color (chocolate) then it is a sexlinked recessive. The drake is a carrier and passes it to (half of) his daughters.
    Bib can be dominant or recessive. Would be strange if two recessives would pop up. I would expect some black-plus-bib too in the future.
    Else it was probably another drake.

Uniform black (E) is dominant to mallard (e+).

4. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Interesting... The male is a pure white crested (parents were 1 with crest and 1 without crest but held crested genes) I do not breed crested to crested due to a lethal gene.. I have just the drake (non crested white, with 1 crested parent), The female is a "double" crested white and the other female is the pure Cayuga. The Cayuga ALWAYS hatches out black, with some white bibbing, 2 toned feet etc. I probably hatched out 100 ducklings since last year and never got a chocolate one.
    [​IMG]

The 2 smaller ones are usually the ones I get from the 2 females..
    [​IMG]

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hope the pics help explain things [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by