Can someone help with a potential diagnosis? Eye swollen shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by djpal15, Nov 24, 2014.

1. djpal15

djpal15 New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Tracy, Ca
    I have had recently added four new chickens to my existing flock. I have had them for about two weeks (slowly introduced to the flock and all seem to be in good health. Yesterday I noticed one of the hens eyes swollen shut, I was thinking it was from pecking( I saw one of the hens get after her) from my existing flock but after reading the forums I'm not so sure. All my other hens seem fine with no noticeable issues. With the newly added four, I have 11 total hens with an 8x6 coop and a 20x6 run and they free range all day in the backyard. Any thought on what this might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. djpal15

djpal15 New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Tracy, Ca
    I came home today to find the dark scab partially broken free and she was able to open the eye about half way. Flushed the eye out with a saline solution and put some Terramycin on it. Quarantined her for now.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Watch for more signs of a respiratory disease--swelling of face or around an eye, rattles when breathing, and sticky nasal drainage. If that occurs, I would treat with Tylan, Gallimycin, or tetracycline in water for a respiratory disease, although you are doing the right things for a peck wound. Hope she gets better soon.

4. djpal15

djpal15 New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Tracy, Ca

Thank you for the response Eggcesive, I'll definitely be watching for other symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by