Can someone help with pipping chicks?

RichwoodsChickenKing

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
This is my first time hatching eggs. All is going well, however, 1 chick cracked 3/4 way around shell about 16 hours ago. I can see it breathing but it isnt or can't get out. Should I help? Also the new chicks all look like they are thirsty. Mouths open panting. When CAN i take them out? Thanks for the help

It can take up to 24 hours from pip to hatch. I wouldn't open the incubator up, as it will let out your humidity. The humidity is necessary for the others to hatch.

You can leave the new hatches in there ... they are fine. I do take mine out at 24 hours though.

Thanks for the quick replies. The chick that is stuck - i can see a foot and it has fur like the others sticking out of the egg. The part i see is getting fluffy. I am going to take them out this afternoon. They started hatching friday morning. 1 hatched overnight. We have maybe 6 or 7 that didnt hatch yet with no pipping on them. We did not candle them as we were dealing with many issues with the homeade incubator and i didnt get to build the one i have designed. It was kinda fun not knowing. None were stinky as of last turning. Friday was day 21 on the dot. We have about 30 chicks running all over each other now. They are so cute. My 10 year old daughter got to see the first one hatch right before school on friday. Again, Thank you

Back
Top Bottom