1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone help with sexing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CocoPopz, Aug 30, 2013.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Sandy is about 11 week old, I originally thought cockerel, but I really want it to be a hen, and can anyone tell me 100% because I'm rubbish at this, I tried to et photos at many angles...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

cockerel

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x2. 100%

4. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    With all that red comb and wattles and those long legs to help him mount the girls, he's all boy.

5. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Cockerel the red in the shoulders wattles combs legs are thick and feet are big.The way he stands pointy hackle feathers coming in he will probably start crowing in a couple of weeks

6. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    I knew it! Just didn't want to face the fact haha, thank you everyone

7. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Want to know something funny I can sex pictures but I have a hard time sexing my flock lol!

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I feel you. I can spot a rooster a mile away here on BYC, but when I'm getting ready to cull my boys I always post to BYC first to confirm my suspicions because I'm so afraid to cull a pullet. It's always easier when it's someone else's bird and there are no emotions attached.

9. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    yes I know what you mean I am having those emotions right now I have an aggressive rooster he was one of my 1st chickens and he is just so mean that he will be heading to crock pot camp I just have to suck it up and do it but I look at him and my heart breaks but then he bites me or flogs me lol and that love for him turns into a recipe for chicken stew just waiting on hubby to set up the kill tent.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh thank goodness, I thought I was the only one! I can spot them easily here, but just the other day I was looking at my ~3 month old birds and realized I have 4 roosters, not 3. [​IMG] And last year, I wrote one off as a rooster by color at around 2 months, she's now one of my best layers! I think it's something about being around them every day, looking at them but not really "seeing" them, you know?

And yes, the OP has a handsome rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by